Thursday, May 11, 2023

Interview with Dea Roddy of Tattered Soul Webzine

 TATTERED SOUL WEBZINE

Interviewed by Patrick Schroeder


interview with dea roddy editor of tattered soul web-zine done by painful patrick........

1.hello dea hows life these days? please tell the readers a little about yourself.
Hello Painful Patrick! That should be a garbage pail kids card if it's not already!! ..ok, well, I started Metal Mafia magazine back in '94/'95. I had no idea what I was doing, but I soon got the hang of it and ended up releasing ten issues! I also used to run a small distro, and I hosted a radio show here called the "Metal Storm" for a couple of years. Then my personal life got a little crazy. I ended up getting married and having a family really quickly and couldn't dedicate the time and money to these projects like I used to, but I'm back now! I just started a metal information website called, "Tattered Soul".

2.your first fanzine was metal mafia correct? how many issues did you all release?anyone who might be interested do you have any back issues?
I released ten issues. I wanted to keep going after that, but then we lost a co-editor and couldn't find a dedicated replacement. My other co-editor got really busy with work and school, and then my personal life just flip flopped around, so we had to lay M.M. to rest. I have copies of #9 & #10 left. I have a bunch of the old issues packed away and need to do inventory. Eventually I will list them on my new website as to what issues of M.M. are still available if anyone cares!

3.what gave you the idea to start a fanzine in the first place?would you say it was/is easier or harder than you first thought?what advice would you give to someone thinking of starting either a fanzine or a web-zine?
I wanted to do something to help promote and support the music I loved. I used to dream about writing for a big magazine some day and interviewing bands that I loved and thought this would be a great start for me. I love writing and love being creative. It was really hard at first. My first issue, I didnt even have a computer, I did it all on a typewriter and the computer at the library! Pasted the pages together, xeroxed and stapled them all by hand! Each issue was a little easier to release. Then everyone started going to newsprint and we jumped on that band wagon, which cost us A LOT of money. It was a little harder than I originally expected. I remember many nights sitting up at 3am trying to get a layout to work out right, or figuring out what page goes where..etc. I'd say, to anyone thinking about starting a zine of any sort, it is a lot of work and time, but if it's something you have a passion for, then do it! Holding a magazine in your hands that you know YOU made, and having complete strangers come up to you at shows telling you how much they love your magazine are some of the best feelings in the world!..Not to mention all of the b ands that you are helping out along the way!

4.what were some of your favorite fan/web-zines? both past and present.in your eyes what makes a good zine?
Some zines I really loved back in the day were Cursed, Mortal Coil, Pernicious, Metal Core, The Outcast ..etc. I like zines that are different and have some original ideas and thoughts. Zines that just have plain simple interviews and reviews get old after awhile. I like zines that make the interviews interesting and include a lot of personal things in their work. Different is good!

5.up to present day you are the editor of the mighty tattered soul web-zine.when did you decide to do a web-zine? for the poor souls who have not seen this web-zine what can the metal-heads expect ?
I have wanted to start something new for a long time, I just never had the time or a good enough computer to do it. I've always had ideas in my head of what I wanted to do, and finally put them to use a few months ago. Tattered Soul is very new. I'm always trying to promote it and get the name out to people. It includes interviews, music reviews, a photo gallery, metal show listings, metal news, a vents page and more. I'm working on ideas to try to gain some reader participation. Right now it's just a free geocities site, but I'm hoping that as time goes on and more people find out about it, it will grow into something big.

6.if any labels or bands are reading this what styles of metal do you cover?
We will cover all styles of METAL, but my favorites are brutal death metal and grindcore..so that is what we mainly feature.

7.the issues of metal mafia zine {r.i.p}and tattered soul web-zine .your favorite styles of metal are gore-grind and brutal death right? what do you love so much about these particular styles? do you have any other metal or non-metal styles you listen to? who would you rank as your your all-time favorite bands? what about "current" favorite bands?
I've always liked horror movies and metal music. When I was about 16 I came across death metal and was completely blown away. I can't even explain why I love it so much. It's different. People are afraid of it. I love the blast beats and the vokills. When I'm in a really bad mood, I pop in something brutal and it helps me vent all of my anger and frustration. It's such an unexplainable adrenaline rush! ... I'm just going to list some of my faves..even though some of them aren't around anymore, they are still favorites of mine: old Obituary, old Carcass, Napalm Death, old Death, Dying Fetus, Fleshgrind, Lividity, Cock and Ball Torture, Dead for Days, Fuck...I'm Dead, PPHP, old Internal Bleeding, Prophecy, Disgorge, Inhumate, Aborted, Leng Tch'e and I could go on and on. I really love doom metal like My Dying Bride, Novembers Doom, Avernus..etc. I dont really listen to any other music styles besides metal, I may be asking for a death sentance, but I love Eminem..the guy is a lyrical MAD MAN! I have a fucked up mind and I dont even know how he comes up with some of his lyrics!!

8.do you have any interest or hobbies outside of metal?
Well, right now I'm pretty tied down with my family, but I do enjoy graphic design work, travelling to new places, working with animals, stupid comedy and horror movies and right now I'm trying to start schooling for an Associates Degree in Computer Technology and some day hope to open my own website design business!

9.in your opinion what is the best and worst thing about the underground? and what does the term "metal underground" mean to you?
Things are so different now than when I first was introduced to the "underground". Back when I started, it was all about doing 100's of snail mail letters a week, stuffing them all full of flyers, passing around everyone else's flyers. Now a days, it seems like people dont try to promote themselves as much. Like we were just discussing in an email, a lot of bands will put up a website and expect everyone to just come to them without doing any advertising or promotion. It also seems like people aren't as friendly in the scene. It used to be like one huge family where everyone respected everyone and looked out for others. Now there are little cliques just like in high school and if you aren't a member of such clique, you are outcasted! That's not right. ..we are all here for the same reason!..Atleast there are some of us old schoolers still around fighting for metal! I'm not exactly sure what "metal underground" means anymore. Like I said, it used to be like one big metal family, but it's not like that anymore. I miss the old days!

10.both tony and myself enjoy reading/studying philosophy and various other subjects.do you enjoy studying/reading any subjects? do you have a certain philosophy you try to live by?
I dont really have much time for reading. As far as philosopy goes..i just try to live day by day and keep in my head that everything happens for a reason. I believe a lot in destiny and karma.

11.another subject i'm a little obsessed with {thats an understatement-patrick} i enjoy is reading/watching documentries,books etc. on serial killers and the psychotic mind .are you at all interested in this subject? can you think of any serial killer that sticks out in your mind as the most interesting?
I love watching all of the serial killer documentaries. I think a serial killer's mind is very intriguing for some reason. What would click in a persons head to make them just start killing people over and over?? I dont really have a favorite killer, but Bundy and Gacy are pretty high on my list!

12.what is your opinion on the following A.death penalty B.welfare system C.religion D. satanism
Death Penalty: i have mixed feelings about this because sometimes i think that spending life in PRISON would be worse than death..death is the easy way out!...Give them life in prison in the HOLE!

Welfare System: It's a good thing to help people who have fallen on hard luck and are struggling financially, but too many people abuse the system and just want to be lazy but still collect the welfare checks. In our county of Ohio, they make you go to a work find program 5 days a week, 8 hours a day to teach you how to find a job, and if you haven't found a job after 30 days, you have to work for them in trade for the help. It's a good idea, but it doesn't solve the problem.

Religion: I'm not a religious person. I have my own personal reasons for it, but i'm not going to go around bashing someone elses religion just because I dont believe in it.

Satanism: I have friends that are true satanists and it is nothing like the media portrays it. They dont go around collecting neighborhood cats to slaughter in the name of satan! Most of them dont do any sort of drugs or even alcohol, and treat everyone with kindness. Everyone is free to believe in what they want to.

13.i remeber back in the mid-to-late 90's ohio had a godly brutal death,gore-grind scene.who were some of your favorite bands back then? what about today any sick and brutal bands to tell the readers about.?
Yeah, the old Ohio days were killer! Some of my favorites from back in the day were Gutted, Arius, Clean Flesh (who else can do wind tunnel vox like Joe??), Regurgitation, Somnus, Kryptik Embrace, Drogheda, Ton and a bunch of others. The Ohio scene isn't like it used to, but there are a few brutal bands still left...right now I'm enjoying Necrotic Disgorgement (Ben and Tony from Regurgitations new band), Dislimb and Dissonant Hatred.

14. well dea i am out of questions thanks alot for letting me try to get inside your head and see what motivates such a dedicated and twisted metal head {for those that don't know tony and i only let the most dedicated and twisted on bleed the freaks so this wasn't an insult-patrick} any final words of wisdom to leave us with?
I am honored that you two thought enough of me to include me in Bleed The Freaks! Thanks so much! I'd appreciate it if everyone could take a few minutes and check out Tattered Soul (http://www.geocities.com/tatteredsoul1977, I'm always adding new things to the site. I have pages up for metal show listings and metal news but no one is submitting anything to list on those pages, so I need some reader interaction! Thanks again for the interview!!!! Keep it METAL!!

No comments:

Post a Comment