Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Interview with Fred of Inhumate

 INHUMATE

Interview by: Corix Psychotronic


NO BULLSHIT: -Hello Fred, how are you and the rest of INHUMATE? How’s your country?
INHUMATE [FRED]: -I’m fine thank you and France is a cool country to live in I think J

NB: -INHUMATE formed since 1990 and that was 14 years of existence, in that 14 years, are you happy/satisfied with what you are doing in your band? Is there something more that you want to improve and changed? Is there something more that you want to achieved in the underground?
FRED: -No, we don’t want to change anything as INHUMATE has always been how it has to be. I mean that we are (for 14 years) a self produced and 200% underground dedicated band. We never changed anything for anybody, no label, nobody never told us what we had to do and just for that (either if we’re not very well known) we shouldn’t want to change anything.

NB: -If you don’t mind me askin’, man, how old are you, by the way? And the rest of the band?
FRED: -I’m almost 38 years old and other guys from the band have between 30 and 32 years old. I’m the oldest fucker of that band, but I think that we’re really old compare to many grinding bands… But we keep and will keep the faith !

NB: -Are you guys workin’ professionally besides your band? Or do you consider your band as a job?
FRED: -It’s impossible for us to get enough money to live with INHUMATE nah we don’t want to. As I told it INHUMATE is an underground band and want to be and stay an underground band so we don’t want to make money with that. INHUMATE is a hobby, but a total hobby. And of course we’re all working besides the band. You know, I think guys that wanna live of their music become soon or late commercial products and then music is getting less interesting.

NB: -The packaging of your latest album “Life” is so damn very cool, nice, awesome and whatever praising and hailing word you call it, the recording was professionally did, like what big labels do, my question goes this way, what is really the goal of INHUMATE or what are your purpose of existing? To make profit in your music? To spread your words worldwide? Pls. Explain.
FRED: -Our goal is to enjoy ourselves, that’s all J. We are still produced and underground because we believe in what we do and this CD is the perfect example to show the world that the underground scene is a « real » scene. We always try to give the best we can and this out of the usual commercial way.

NB: -In 14 years of existence until now I guess, you are still not interested with underground labels proposal, what would be the best benefits or deal that would fit the bands qualification for a labels proposal?…is it a phat cars and phat house? Just kidding bro.
FRED: -Ah, ah, ah… No, I think the perfect deal should be a label that show use a real interest in what we do and in which we could totally trust. I think it’s impossible as long as a label is here to make benefit and we don’t… But we don’t say « no », maybe one day will a label make us a proposition. But never forget that we don’t try to be signed, we don’t send promos to labels, never…

NB: -How much did it cost you all in all of recording, pressing 1000 copies of luxurios digipack with full color booklet and tons of flyers in this album “LIFE”? Did it cause pain in your pocket?
FRED: -The global cost (studio, pressing, promotion, etc…) of « Life » is not that big, around 7500 / 8000 US$. I mean it’s not that big for the finished CD I think, but I understand that lot seems much money for an underground band… But people must never forget that we are working in a serious way for almost 10 years, that we put a lot of money in the band in the past and that the money we have now is only the return of the selling of the past CD. So, I think we are the proof that everything is possible in the underground as long as people are motivated and ready to work! The underground scene is not for lazy fuckers I think.

NB: -Do you still appreciate those bands who are into d.i.y ethics when it comes to packaging, I mean, just a crappy black and white cover and a lo-fi recording? What can you say about them?
FRED: -Yes, I do appreciate them as well because we started like that. Now the problem is (As I told before) that if they do just such work, then it’s bullshit because it’s easy… But if they try to improve themselves, they’ll have much more feed back and they can growth slowly as INHUMATE did. Believe me I’m sure that I’m more proud than any RELAPSE signed band ;-)

NB: -Do you listen to hardcore/punk stuff? Do you have any hardcore punk records?
FRED: -When I was younger I has listened to some punk stuffs like EXPLOITED, DISCHARGE, CRASS, GBH, and also all the ’70 / ’80 bands like ANTI-PASTI, ANGELIC UPSTART, UK SUBS, etc… Also a bit HC but now I don’ really care much about those stuffs because they’re too much into politics and I think that politics is politics and that it has nothing to see with music. I have my own political opinion and I don’t want them to be known by everybody and I don’t want to have people telling me what I have to vote or think. We’re freedom in this attitude??? So, back to your question, yes I still have some punk LP : few EXPLOITED and « Never mind the bollocks » of course J.

NB: -What is/are your band before INHUMATE?, If there is, why it doesn’t exist that long?
FRED: -Yes, I played a bit in a French punk band, but we didn’t do anything with it, thats all. It doesn’t exist because it wasn’t a serious band…

NB: -I have noticed about your lyrical skill is that, you are not into the horror gore and satanic stuff like what most grindcore do? Do you think those kind of lyrical stuff that I’ve mentioned has no integral part or has nothing to do with grindcore?
FRED: -Yes, you’re right, we’re not into gore or satanic lyrics… It’s not that we’re against them, but it’s not the way we feel lyrics. No if other bands wanna use them, why not J.

NB: -I like mostly of your songs because of the speed blast brutality and you can only sense very less groove in it! Who are your inspirations and bands that influenced you in writing the“Life” album? And who’s idea in writing personal stuff lyrics?
FRED: -I don’t know if we can still say that we have some influences… If you listen to all our CD you’ll see that there is an INHUMATE style and I already heard people comparing us to BRUTAL TRUTH, NAPLAM DEATH, TERRORIZER, but I don’t think we are influenced by one of those bands. INHUMATE style is unique I think. And I think it comes from David (guitar) because he is composing 99% of the music! About lyrics, they’re written by Christophe, he came to those lyrics after years of a kind of quest… I mean that in the beginning he was writing some funny, lyrics, some philosophical ones, etc… And now he writes those lyrics that are the best ones for INHUMATE I think.

NB: -I was quite amazed and happy of reading your song “Thank You” ‘cuz you guys are not the machoism or a sexist type of metal heads. What can you say about those metal heads that treat women not equal to men?
FRED: -« Fuck you !!! ». Because all the guys that have a masochist attitude are afraid of women I think. They don’t know how to deal with them, so they treat her like shit… But I’m sure none of them is acting like that with his girlfriend, this is pure hypocrisy, pure bullshit !!!

NB: -You have been toured all over Europe I guess, what country that you find the most unforgettable show ever and what place that you find it the worst? And how about ladies that you meet in every tour? …Uhhmm…who among the band is very attractive with girls?
FRED: -The girsls attraction is Christophe because he is a sick frontmanand I think girls like that ;-) And about the concert, our very best one was the Obscene Extreme Festival 2003 (Czech Republic). The video on « lIfe » were taken there. It was amazing in brutality and underground spirit !!! the best festival in the world I think !!!

NB: -You have been already played with big bands like AGATHOCLES, CANNIBAL CORPSE, CRYPTOPSY, IMMOLATION, NILE etc. how would you compare it playing with small bands with small crowd but really chaotic audiences?
FRED: -To be honest I prefer to play with « smaller » bands. Just have a look a tour concert list and you’ll see that we don’t tried to play with « stars » for a long time. Why ? Because they usually don’t really care about the audience and about the other bands, they do there job and that’s all…
INHUMATE is unprofessional and so we really care about everything, this is important for us, we don’t like bands that play rock stars. In the bands you listed before my worst remembering was IMMOLATION… Best one were NILE and AGATHOCLES. Those 2 bands still have a human feeling I think.

NB: -How about touring in a third world country like my country Philippines? Lets destroy my country, man! Hehehe…Is there any plan touring around Asia?
FRED: -Unfortunately no plan to play in Asia, but if anybody is interested, just contact us and we’d come ;-) Should be really cool to play in this part of the world as the underground scene seems to be very strong !

NB: -Do you guys drink and drunk after playing in a show? Rehearsals? Or anything when you’re having a good time? What kind of alcohol or beers that you usually abused?…’cuz you know, man, I am drunkard and I like to drink and abuse alcohol with you guys…hehehe
FRED: -We drink some beers, but we’re no alcohol junkies.. Christophe (vocalist) doesn’t drink, nor smoke and is vegetarian. He is also making a lot of sport. Strange isn’t it ?

NB: -and lastly, ‘cuz I’m outta questions, who is the most powerful? God, Satan or Money? Why?
FRED: -I’d like to say God !

NB: -alright, man! Thank you so much for answering my shits, I am honored of putting you guys in my zine…be safe always and much respect! Start a beat blasting growl now and Promote your new album. This piece is all yours.
FRED: -Thanx to you for this cool interview man ! And my last words are for the readers as ever : feel free to contact me for anything, all letters and e-mail will have an answer. We also have a huge distro list, if you’re interested to have it just send an e-mail to professeur.burp@wanadoo.fr. Remember that if INHUMATE is still self produced until now it’s because some cool underground maniax are buying some of our CD !!!


INHUMATE
C/o Fred ANTON 19 rue des paturages 67310 ZEINHEIM FRANCE
inhumategrind@wanadoo.fr
http://www.inhumate.com

No comments:

Post a Comment