Sunday, May 14, 2023

Interview with Deathevoker 2014

 




Deathevoker Interview
By: Corix
 
Hails to you Gart! How are you and the rest of the band? What’s spinning on your player while answering this?
Gart: Hails to you too...no activities for now, our drummer Mann just lost his father a few weeks ago, condolence to the family, while typing this, I’m not listening to any music, just the sounds of my ceiling fan, the bids , and the passing motorists.
 
Before anything else, pls. share a short bio of the band?
Irwan (guitar/bass) & Mann(drum) started DEATHEVOKER in the end  of 2011...no vocal yet, so for the the 1st material EVOKING THE DEAD (promo 2012) they invite 3 sessionist for vox i.e. me, Cozen(DEMIZER), Adiek(MAAR/INSIDE)... finally i became the permanent vox then.
Also 2 sessionists  on solo guitar...Anton(DEMIZER) and Suhaimi (MANGGAS). finally Anton became the permanent member too,  but not for long.
Now I feel that we have a concrete line-up since we lived in the same area and been a good friends to each from ever since...consisting me(vox), irwan(guitar), Andy(bass), Man(drum)
 
How did you discover metal and underground in general?
From a local entertainment magazine in 1990 when the record company promoting EXODUS (Impact is imminent) they mention 'thrash metal'...so I  went to the record store to check out what in heaven  thrash metal is. The rest I found out like from friends.
 
I found out that Irwan was a member of the old band DEMIZER, is the band not active anymore? That’s why he formed DEATHEVOKER?
Yes he formed Demizer with some friends maybe around 98 or 99...but he long gone from any activities of the band right now. DEMIZER  still exist and  they just release their latest full length last year ...killer stuff...check them out. Irwan has  joined many local band as a fulltime line-up... and as a sessionist... and after a while he didn’t  involve with any bands. He just jammed with a few friends  for the sake of still love playing metal music. Around 2010  they discuss  about playing Death Metal music with lesser fuss and in your face kind of Death metal. Since they  lived quit far away from each other, they i couldn’t  make the project. So he asked his long friend and drummer  Mann to join the band and... at 1st there were only 2 of them.
 
I haven’t heard your first demo, how would you differentiate your new demo called “Towards Nothingness”? Does it stays the old school Death Metal aspects like the Towards Nothingness demo? I have sense some Swedish Death Metal feeling in your sound, who are the bands influences if you don’t mind me asking?
The 1st Demo are just the same as "towards nothingness" demo the different things are maybe the sound and productions value ...some friends like the 1st demo sounds and some prefer the 2nd one. Irwan and Mann does the music and they love the buzz saw sound of the Swedish DM and they’re totally influenced by a rollercoaster of too many music that we heard so far as anything goes ... But for this recording they mostly listen to Autopsy, Carcass and Entombed but we are far cry from these legendary bands.
 
Is the demo “Towards Nothingness” originally release on cassette tape format? How did you guys come up with NexroRecords?
The production was really cool and is done in a pro-cassette format.
Yes it is originally release on cassette tape format, but you can still got the cd version of the demo which included 4 tracks from our 1st demo, if you are interested in getting one please contact Envenometalrecs@gmail.com for it. Nexro Recs boss is a good friend of Irwan and he is very supportive towards DEATHEVOKER and we’re  honoured when he decided to released our demo in pro cassette format. I am glad that you liked the demo.
 
I heard about the band’s next assault, is this a split? Or a full length? When will we expect this?
Our next release will be split projects with Fetid Zombie from usa and it will be release in cd and cass format and do keep your eyes peel open for the release. If all thing goes the cd will be release somewhere earlier this year and the cass version will be release around this year also. We also have some plans for future recording and hope all goes well and we got to record the next new projects.
 
I love to listen Death Metal when drunk and stoned, who among the members who loves getting drunk? How about Marijuana? What is your favourite brand of alcohol and beer there in your country?
Only me and Andy..we not quite an alcoholic...just a drinker. Alcohol is a poison, bad for our brain and liver.. I must quit before I do more damage to myself...anyway my fav liquor used to be SUNNY 17%+soya bean+ice, rice wine(factory or home made), coconut wine(home made),  beer = tiger,budwiser,orangeboom (just to name a few). I used to be a stoner, but not anymore...long time no see..once shit appear...go on....old habit you know, hard to break, but it won’t be as good as the good old days...I’m paranoid of urine test !!! Anyway, I do believed in medical marijuana, now I’m planning to plant it.. I wanna eat it...the problem is...no seed....hope you can give me some. I do sincerely hope that those things are the things of my past...got to think of something new and more serious stuff like... whatever. I do admire and adore every clean person on planet earth...these people can make good music, lyric, performance, without getting stone or drunk...hail to them !!!
 
I’ve known Malaysia has a huge and great underground scene for a long time, but for you, since you are quite old in the scene there, what can you say about your underground scene there nowadays? Is the DIY ethics still alive there? How about fanzines? Etc.can you recommend some fanzines you like in your country?
DIY ethics still alive,.fanzine =  PERANTARAAN, API, DIS-CARNAGE, MASSAKRAK METAL ZINE. pro mag = METAL WARPAGE .
 
Nowadays, access of music and gigs is so easy; do you think you still feel the feeling of true Underground? Do you think the Underground scene in general is Dead? If so, who do you think killed it? Why?
Nowadays its less music and more fashion. Easy access means broader audience. Maybe the music  will be less appreciated,  all have their pro and contrast , people still do all their material by their self independently. The underground is quit dead but not dead enough , there are still some Resistance out there that still using the old ways example Xeroxed fanzine as above -mentioned guys... people prefer everything to be pro released these days and i can’t help it  as we also do prefer to have properly released pro material too. The scene is surely not dead yet but massively hurt by the internet as nobody really like hardcopies of records anymore ...and listener prefer to download or copy mp3. For promotional it’s good because some material are too hard and quite expensive especially for us in south east Asia...i mean the costs of the stuff including the postage. Its a 50-50 situations, for me I will buy the material when it’s easy, or trade , or I can support the band by spreading the words. I used to collect a few stuff and doing my own zine. Things changed now, I’m not quite excited anymore compared to old days. Maybe that’s my stupid hormone. I regret to admit that I’m not quite a true supporter in this metal scene and I’m too far away from being a diehard  fan...I’m just a moderate music listener and maybe I can sing death metal quite a bit.  They called mo poser trendy, scene killer, ...OK.
 
Anyway, our country’s system is so fucked up, I just want to know about your political views, if you want to share something, what can you say about your government system? And how about religion? What are your views on it? Do you believe in the concept of God and Satan?
Government system is a vampire in some part and lovely too in some part...I’m not really into politics anyway.
Religion, I’m a Moslem...I’m just messed up a little bit.
 
Alright man, let’s go down to some other topic, since Death Metal tackle about those creepy and supernatural creatures, ghost, spirits etc.like what Irwan are doing in his art, with all those mythology and folklore, are there any kind of stories like this in your country? Have you ever encountered it?
There are tonnes of this kind of stories here. Sometime your brain tricks on you, you feel that’s the ghost, but actually it’s not. I have encountered  only a few less scary stuff like i saw someone over there , but he is actually not  there. In my villige in Kota Belud, people still believe in the so-called zombie that digging the fresh grave and eat the body. Today, after every funeral, they still put something in the soil I’m not sure what, together with the spells  to get rid those zombies.
According to them, our zombie is a normal person with demonic illness. After a few interviews that I did with a few elders in the village... I want to believe. To me those  things might  only exist long time ago.  Anyway, as my good friend  Mr. Fox Mulder said,  “ The truth is out there”.
 
Alright  brother, thanx for sharing your thoughts and views and giving time answering this! Your last message
Anytime bro...Thanks a bunch for this cool interview, good luck with your zine, i want a free copy (not coffee)...remember not to drive while your dick being sucked...you will end up in a ditch.

No comments:

Post a Comment