Thursday, May 11, 2023

Interview with Mike of Skull Grinder

 SKULL GRINDER

Interviewed by: Corix 


When I first hear this band, it was really shocking because it’s been a long time I am not hearing this kind of metal music, POWER/HEAVY METAL in my face! This is the kind of thing that used to when I was started hearing metal music, I was actually influenced by my older brother playing this kind of thing when I was a teenage kid way back in the 80’s, watching them smoking pot and get drunk. The first metal record that I bought was Metal Church “The Dark” cassette tape and until now the tape is still in the mint condition, this is how I started before I get involve into hardcore/punk death and grind music. And this is SkulGrinder for real metal fans of Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, they called their music as the new merchant of Molten Metal music, real singing and guitar solos and a fucking heavy music for real metal heads, so check this out, interview answered by Mike the guitarist and also runs the KM records.

No Bullshit Zine: -Hello Michael, how’s things been going and the rest of the band?
Mike: -Good, great! We’re getting the word out about Skulgrinder and getting a lot of reviews.

NB: -How did you guys come up with the name “SKULGRINDER”? and what are those other name choices before Skulgrinder? Do you think the name Skulgrinder really fits your music?
Mike: -The original name of the band was SKULFUX and we had a different vocalist at the time. I did an interview on the radio and the DJ wouldn’t say the name of the band because when you say it - it sounds like your saying Skull Fucks! I knew we were going to have a problem with the name. When we got Brian as the new vocalist we decided to change the name.

NB: -What are your bands before Skulgrinder formed?
Mike: -We were all in bar bands that played covers of other bands music. Curt (Bass) and I were in a band, Ricochet. We played AC/DC, G-n-R, Scorpions, Accept, and other 80s stuff. Kato (drums) was in a band called Teaser, and Brian was in the band, L.M. Gash.

NB: -Pls. Tell me about the previous releases of the band? And what was the feed back of the new school metal kids about your current release “Island of Lost Souls”?
Mike: -“Lost Souls” is the first recording together as a band. I really don’t know what the younger metal peeps think. I have the feeling that we are mainly selling CDs to adult Metal heads who like the singing vocal style (rather then just screaming all the time), guitar solos, and old school style arrangements (like key changes in a song).

NB: -Are you already into metal when you were just a teenager? What are those kind of music that you enjoyed at that time?
Mike: - Oh, yeah. From age 9 or 10, I already liked music that was harder than what most kids would be listening to. Early, Sabbath, Priest, Ted Nugent, Deep Purple. Fans used to paint the album cover artwork on the backs of their denim jackets. I had the cover of Rainbow, “Rising” on my back for years. Later I had the cover of the first Iron Maiden album with Eddie on my jacket.

NB: -How did you discover metal? What was the first metal band that you’ve ever heard?
Mike: - I remember seeing Rainbow (with Dio on vocals) on a TV show, Don Kirshner’s Rock Concert. I knew the music was very different than what you would hear on the radio. I knew I wanted to play guitar after seeing Ritchie Blackmore play some solos.

NB: -It’s really obvious that the quality of your music can also be compared to Metal Church, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, what can you say about the Death metal and Grindcore and hardcore/Punk music that are dominating right now?
Mike: -I like some of the death and black metal because they have some technically great guitarists, I just can’t listen to many songs in a row ‘cause the vocals start to annoy me. As far as the other music styles, if a guitarist can’t play a good solo – I won’t listen to the music!

NB: -Do you think that real metal music is dead these days?
Mike: - Well, music styles are never going to stay the same. They always evolve and change. So there is no real metal – there’s just the metal that I like and a different style of metal that maybe someone else likes. But, I see Ozzfest doing real well and some of the young bands are hearing what the old-school metal bands are all about. I think it’s starting to influence them. Slipknot has guitar solos on their new CD.

NB; -Who are those new school metal bands that you think it suits your musical taste? Is there any?
Mike: -I like Tool, Godsmack, and Disturbed.

NB: -What is really a true metal music to you? Is Death and Black metal not a real one?
Mike: - I like vocalists that really sing but have an aggressive edge to their voice. I like classic or traditional metal the best.

NB: -May I know who are those bands in your play list right now that spins regularly in your CD player every time you wake up, while working and while also drinking alcohol in your free time?
Mike: - Nevermore - “Dead Heart in a Dead World” is an awesome CD. I listen to that a lot. I’ve been getting into the new Iced Earth CD and the Zakk Wylde CD has awesome solos!!!

NB: -How bout KM records that you are running? How did the label start? And what gives you an idea of putting up a label?
Mike: -I started the label out of need. I had to get my music out to the people that like this style of music rather than what is the “in’ style or the big money makers. Also, I like doing promotions myself – getting my hands into it – thinking of ways to get publicity and to promote the CD.

NB: -For the bands who are reading right now, what kind of genre that you accept or putting up a release in your label? And how many bands who already signed your label? And who are those bands?
Mike: - I signed a band, Cretan Lord. They play old style hard rock like AC/DC. So it’s them and Skulgrinder and my solo instrumental releases right now. I mainly look for good musicianship and good vocals.

NB: -And what are your standards in releasing a record? Do you release a radio friendly record that could probably sell out?
Mike: -I don’t have the clout to get many radio stations to play any CDs I release. So I don’t look for radio songs.

NB: -You said you were also an editor of a ‘zine for almost 8 years, am I right? Why did you stop? Any reason behind it?
Mike: -Well, It takes a lot of time and money to do a print zine. I was finding it difficult to do that and my music. I wanted to get back to recording and playing my own music, releasing my own CDs.

NB: -To those who are just new in ‘zine writing like me, could you pls. Give us some tips on how to be a good editor? And how can you say that a zine editor is good?
Mike: -I guess it would be, doing a little research about the artists your going to interview (which you obviously did because I had never mentioned to you that I ran a zine). – [does it mean I am a good editor?, oh, thanx man-corix] Putting unsigned bands reviews mixed with the major label reviews is really cool, too. If a CD is good, that’s what matters – not if they’re on a label or whatever, right? Another good thing is probably asking bands what they do to promote themselves or what they did to get signed. A lot of the readers of zines are other musicians and bands so it makes it interesting for them if they can learn something from the interviews or get some new tips.

NB: -Alright, give us some of your top 5 guitar players?
Mike: - Zakk Wylde, Randy Rhoads, Tony Iommi, Glen Tipton and Michael Schenker

NB: -Top 5 albums
Mike: -Deep Purple – Machine Head, Black Sabbath – Paranoid, Judas Priest – PainKiller or Screaming for Vengeance, Iron Maiden – Piece of Mind, Megadeth – Rust in Peace, Kiss-Alive. Is that 5? I’d like to add Ozzy – Blizzard of Ozz and Metallica – Master of Puppets.

NB: -Top 5 ‘zines
Mike: -The Wild Rag (its gone now), Transcending the Mundane, BW &BK, Ill-Literature (also gone), and Treats from the Underground. These were all print ‘zines. I like printed zines the best! One of my new faves is Paragon Music Magazine in NJ.

NB: -Your dreamed country to play live?
Mike: -I don’t really have a particular country. I think playing a show in a huge cave would be really cool though! Or maybe like an ice cave in the north polar region.

NB: -Alright, I’m outta words, thank you so much Michael for answering my questions, much respect to you and to the old school metal! You take care always and more power to your band and label. This space is all yours, shout it out loud!
Mike: -Corix, thank you very much for the interview. Hey peeps, check out our CD – download some songs from our web-site. All you guitarists out there, learn some guitar solos. Singers, start singing and quit that rap stuff… and all the screaming & growling. Let’s Mosh!


www.kmrecords.com
darknite@optonline.net

No comments:

Post a Comment