Thursday, May 11, 2023

Interview with Roy of The 3rd Inferno / Underworld Zine



Underworld Zine / The 3rd Inferno Interview

By: Corix

Hails Roy! It’s been a long time since our last drinking session, what are your favorite local hard alcoholic drinks and beers there? What’s spinning on your player right now while answering this?

Roy: Infernal Hails Corix! Yeah what year was that, 2009, no 2007? Well, like metal I try to find a local band or brand in this case, just never thought there are a lot here. It depends, outside or at shows I get Lone Star or Shiner Bock, at home I like to get the Arrogant Bastard Ale, Blackened Voodoo, Devastator & other brands new to me, ‘coz I think these are not available in bars & it is safer to experiment in a controlled environment. For Hard I prefer whiskey, more bourbon & Tennessee whiskey are available here besides from some Scotch. I stay away from Brandy’s as much as possible hehe

I’m still at the reviewing stages for the zines so I have a lot at my plate, but the most recent & while doing this is Demona, Slaughter Command, Trenchrot, Blaspherian/Imprecation Split, Abysmal Grief, Evil Nasty, Toxemia, the Mandarangan releases Pathogen, Ataul, Incapacitate, Paganfire , Armored Goat / Retaliate & Dethrone releases Rabies, Legion/Necrodios split  …

For the new readers who haven’t heard your name and your underground activities yet, pls. tell us a lil’ bit about yourself? How did you get involved in the underground scene?

OK but this is the long bit. I found punk & metal almost the same time in 1986. I live in Bulacan, a province north of Manila, But since my older sisters study in QC & Manila, we visit them sometimes on weekends and on summer time we do reverse where we live in QC or Manila for the summer vacation.

By 1989 I entered college in UE, Caloocan. I have some same classes with some punk & metal heads in the area & some turned out to be the guys of Sektaba & Crematorium bands, come to think if now, they were really nice or at least the meeting was casual that I just got to hang out more & drink a lot with them especially Crematorium’s Rommel mostly & Ronald  when they are rehearsing & doing shows! So being in that atmosphere, meeting other bands & getting easy access to recto for bootlegs tapes, fanzines, it all adds up. Subscribing to Crossblood, fanzines like Mutilated News, Anti, Blank Info, Oi Bangers, Inverted & Werewolf gave me idea, culture & conduct of what fanzines are. Rommel told me they were actually writing & trading with bands abroad. So this was supposed to be my first project in the underground, by 1991 I thought of doing a diy compilation tape since writing & receiving mail takes a long time then I thought I can save up.  I never expected the outcome to be great and by 1992 to 1994 I received demos from bands who agreed to be part of it, Necrotic Mutation (Can), Corpse Molestation (Aus), Disabled (Fra), Impetigo (Usa), Gore Beyond Necropsy (Jpn), Severance (Usa), Incantation (Usa), Magus (Usa), Absu (Usa), Inferia (Fin), Vomiturition (Fin), Achrostichon (Neth), Ripped (Usa), Nuclear Death (Usa), Mortal God (Fin), Exulceration (Swi), Agathocles (Bel), Nefarious (Usa), Excess of Cruelty (Bel), Sarcastic Terror (Gre), Witches (Fra), Divine Eve (Usa), Burial (UK), Gothic (Neth). So I owe to all these bands the 1st hand experience of what being underground is across the globe, thus I salute to them eternally!! By middle of the 1st semester of 1992 I already dropped out of college & started working.  It was a good ride until I lost my job by 1994, so I never got to officially release it. I managed to make some copies & send it , but I’m not sure if it was received and the one who replied back had a miserable response haha!  So I concentrated in finding a job & got one by 1996 but only till 1998/99 that I started Underworld Zine & Compilation, 1st I tried on tape but eventually did it in CDR. The tracks for the compilation tape in the early 90s are then included in the compilation cdr of the fanzine issues. I just consigned copies in cartimar, I forgot the name of the shop ‘coz it’s not the well known metal/punk shop there as manang is the only one good to talk to at least interested in consigning it.

You were in Abu Dhabi and Dubai before, pls. tell us about your experiences there, how’s the underground metal scene there? Who are those bands there that you can recommend to us?

I worked & live in Abu Dhabi but most metal shows are in Dubai. Experience is both good & bad but I guess more personal shit went bad and down the drain, only metal, alcohol & money really kept me going as I know how hard is not having a job back home. Just tried to survive & drinking became the best weekend company! hehe

There’s a scene but a mix of rock, punk & metal. As they say there in UAE, there are more expats than locals, so it goes the same in the scene which gives it a mix of culture. At first couple of years 2001/2002 there’s nothing that I found, but then after I found Abhorred which I did feature in my Trendcrusher Zine, they moved to UK to study then I think only a member came back to Dubai. There’s Nervecell who is still brutalizing Dubai! There also Perversion. There are some more I saw on live shows but not all have a demo or probably still recording at the time. Some bands from the region also came to play in Dubai like Creative Waste from Saudi, and some from Lebanon, Bahrain, and Iran. Melechesh who is originally from Irahell actually played there! The shows are few but it’s all a blast, for me at least and I get to drink with my friends & bang our heads!!

Now, you are in Texas, seems like you are exploring the world, how long you’ve been staying there already? Pls. share your experiences there compare to Dubai? What can you say about the local underground scene there?

Well, I’m just an OFW or as commonly known as Overseas Filipino Worker.  Maybe we can change it to Overseas Filipino Warriors for all OFW Metal heads out there!! Haha!! Anyway, being an OFW I go where the work needs me to go. I spread my CV to the job market like flyers in the underground & some company got interested so here I am. I’ve been here since June of 2012.

There is of course a big difference in society & culture, and that reflects on the underground as well. And of course the underground scene here is bigger way back then and it seems I got here in good timing as they say they also had some underground drought  for some years & it only picked up again by 2011/2012. So far, it’s great for me as I saw a lot of shows, with legendary bands I never thought I’d see, and meeting old time contacts is priceless! I met Jaime Perez & Abel Barrera & all of Severance & even stayed in Jaime’s house on the 2nd time. I met Keijo Bagge  from Finland, who is of Vomiturition when it existed & now in Rotten Sound, met Bruce Corbit of Rigor Mortis one of my favorite band & now he’s in Warbeast. Hanging out & drinking with the trio of Destruction is fucking insane & made me a believer again that even how big a band is, few still has that underground attitude who think of themselves as metalheads not just as a band! Of course seeing live Absu, Kreator, Morbid Angel, Immolation, DRI among others is just fucking surreal!

Texas underground is so big with lots of subgenre’s, it is really hard to describe, but this I know firsthand, that metal heads here appreciate & acknowledge each other!  But like all other scenes, there are negative shits  & assholes too, but I guess it more minimal so far that I’m seeing . The only reverse thing is I cannot go 120 proof here when going to shows, I get more wasted in Dubai ‘coz I know I am not driving haha!


Is the DIY ethics still alive there? How about the printed zine? Any DIY gig happening in squat areas there? Have you witnessed some? What can you say about the underground scene there?

Yes DIY still lives! Lots of bands do their demos, tapes, cdr, merchandise. Printed zines not quite, I only found one from San Antonio so far. Shows at squats I don’t know, maybe on punk scene but I am not familiar with it. On metal side, underground is alive! Usually shows happen in bars/clubs with an exception of Sound Exchange which is a record shop where sometimes they have free shows just bring your own beer. Show schedule here is just crazy, almost every week there are shows, weeknights & weekend-nights! They also have something they call a swap meet, a live show but early on, you can bring anything you want to sell or trade, so like an open trading market for all undergound!

How about the audiences at gigs? If you compare here in the Philippines, mostly here are like; watching movies at gigs hehe, how about there? Do they bang their heads or mosh in every bands set? Pls. recommend Texas underground bands. 

I think there something about the Philippine air that makes metalhead so immobilized? Even when I was there but I think I was wasted if I remember it right hehe excuses excuses. I guess here, people just think you are free to do what you want as long as you don’t disturb others. If you want to just stand & stare, hey enjoy it. Buy don’t get mad when you get some ones hair in your face. So those who want to bang their head go straight at the front lines! The ones who want to just watch are at the back. The moshers are at the middle with the circling pit. There are lots of Texas bands proportional to the hugeness of this state! Houston alone has Imprecation, Blaspherian, Funeral Rites, Temination Force whose 2 members are of Filipino blood, Oath of Cuelty, Hel-Razor, Spectral Manifest,  PLF, of more well known DRI, Deadhorse & Pasadena Napalm Division and a lot more! From other parts of Texas is HOD, Morgengrau, Xapharon, Interment, Blast Perversion, Severance, Vaginal Bear Trap, Burial Shroud and of course Absu, Rigor Mortis & Warbeast!

Let’s go down to your underground projects and activities, you are now bringing back your old zine called Underworld Zine, what happen to your Trendcrusher Zine and why you resurrect the old one?

Underworld Zine was only put to rest ‘coz it’s hard to do it in Abu Dhabi. After 3 personal appearances at the customs office there I feared I may go to jail the next time. Trendcrusher was supposed to be an internet zine but then again printed issues were made when I found a printer who seems to not care about the content of it. Trendcrusher has no official end as I was disillusioned about so many things in my life then, I just slipped away with the drinking and working is my only normality. By issue #4 I just silently stepped away from it. Well, I always have that itch, NO! NOT THAT ONE!! I mean in writing or doing something again, but when I came here it is still far from my thoughts. After a year here the fire that I feel back there in the Philippines is back, so it’s just natural to do the next.

You had a co-editor named Pedro in your Trendcrusher zine when you were in Dubai, did he still continue the zine with its name? I’ve lost in contact with you after your Trendcrusher 3rd issue, I guess, how many issues you have made under the name?

Yeah the print only goes to #3. Pedro first has some interview contribution on that issue, by supposed #4 I haven’t done anything that I can remember. Pedro created his own website for those he interviewed so for me I just want to drink & get wasted on weekends. If there’s a show then I’ll get wasted in the show.

Underworld is on 5th issue now and still with compilation Cd back to the old format, but this time, it is a pro pressed Cd, how did you manage to put up a Pro-Cd compilation, how many copies you’ve release in that issue?

I checked out if I can do the pro-cd here & I’m glad that independent music is supported here by the music making industry. And I am also glad that most of the bands are still into this printed fanzine! Being out for a decade is like almost starting over. 300 copies are released!

The 3rd Inferno, how did you come up in putting up a label? When did you start the label? What do you look for a band? Is your label strictly for metal music only? Are you open for a non metal music like punk, noise, crust and the likes?

When I found out I can do pro-cds here, that’s the next thing that came to mind. I still would not call it a label though, maybe a production or more like collaboration. Because I cannot support 100% like paying for recordings, support for shows, etc..but I make it a point that release will benefit the band which I think you know how but of course do not forget the oath!!!

It started just this year 2014, I am already talking to a friend & a band about my plans but the talk is like going nowhere and I’m getting pessimistic about it, then Unlight emailed something about his USUL creations & plans. Unlight & I hanged out together when we were in Abu Dhabi, and with Incarion I am familiar with what he does. I proposed something to Unlight that goes along his plans, so that actually pushed my confidence to next level & in within 2 weeks or so we were doing it as planned. So without Unlight’s positive acceptance & collaboration I would have not probably started this, so Hail & Thanks Unlight and for his continued support!!

This is mainly to support first the Philippines bands whose musick I like and attitude I respect. So yes, Metal First! Grind Crust Noise Punk is probably the order of preference but let me have a listen & see! I am just temporary here & have to work for the funds so we will see how long we can go. And I just hope the bands would be easy to work with & understand that this is an underground production and on its infancy. I am not a big label who can give you money but as a true underground we have to work hard together! Also if you are really decided to have something released and ready for it, then please don’t give me the run around & waiting time like I am the one more interested in doing a release. This is a pact of respect & understanding in the unwritten code of the underground.

Who’s the lucky band in your number 3 release by the way? Are you focusing only on releasing Filipino underground bands?

Actually Toxemia was supposed to be #3 so thanks to another ‘talks that went to nothingness’ you became #2 so now I don’t know yet for #3 which I am planning early 2015. Yes I am focusing on Filipino underground band first, but this is not because I am being nationalistic, we all know it is hard to have something released there in the Philippines, with the Music Industry’s non supportive to any independent efforts and laws, pressing procedures & price are meant to be for big labels only! So praises & hail to all who are keeping the underground there alive with releases in tapes & even CDR’s!  And those abroad who support Philippine Underground musick like Mandarangan Records!!!

Alright, for some other topic, and since we have shared a joint before back here in the Philippines, what can you say about Marijuana? Do you consider it as a gateway drug? Should this be legalize? How about there in Texas? Is it legal already?

Tobacco and/or Beer are the gateway to drugs! Those are actually the things you first experience in our youth because they are legally available. And nicotine & alcohol has more negatives effects! Most Nay Sayers are those who haven’t used marijuana in their life & read too much about it! There’s more a lot of use of marijuana not just for smoking & getting high which what most think. And the medical benefits are statistically high which makes it a natural enemy of the pharmaceutical companies. I think legalizing has more pros to society & the government.  The only hard thing for the Philippines is like every law we have, enforcing & abiding to it is the hard one to follow. Medical use should at least be legalized before they do the recreational law! I’ve read Texas is planning to follow suit to Colorado as a model, which they say the bill is for voting & it will be known by end of 2014 or early 2015.

Back to underground issues, Nowadays, access of music and gigs is so easy; do you think you still feel the feeling of true Underground? Do you think the Underground scene in general is Dead? If so, who do you think killed it? Why?

I’ve been in that situation. So I have to step back with the old demons that I know, that is my safe haven, my true personal underground.

All of us is to blame & have part of it in small bits & pieces, who is to say who has more shit depends on where you stand. Because all words & sentences are ambiguous and we all have fingers to point!

I think the true underground shall never die! Old ones dies & new ones shall continue. But just like life there are ups & down.  Sometimes we just don’t feel it ‘coz maybe it is us who are having problems.

I also think underground is mistaken by many as just another extreme fashion, music club or group.  The true underground has an unwritten code, which you feel when it is just not right. It has things to learn from that we can use in our ‘normal’ life, not just the fun of head banging, raising the horns & going to shows. These are the hardest to describe. But it is easier to say what it is not! Well, at least for me, underground is not a competition of who is the best but who you relate to. It is supposed to be a non-confirming philosophy yet most want to conform to a single view of it. More metal heads has become herds of famous cries of simple minded conformity;  only Death, only Thrash, only Black, only tape or only vinyl is real, so anything else is not?; with the metering stick of material collection; get some cult bands shirts & their new die hard limited until next pressing release and you are an instant kult to the highest level?;  and juvenile self association; of only your own style or the one you like is not gay? Most loathe the mainstream yet most of us found metal from a mainstream metal band and cannot distinguish which is mainstream & not? So as you see these are all question marks, in the end of the day, only the person can answer it for him/herself.

I remember this story about a woman who went to a marriage counselor and confides that her husband’s penis is too small. The counselor says, “Have you considered that maybe your vagina is just too big?”. I’m not sure if that is a good allegory of it.

Anyway, any ghost stories you have encountered there in Texas? How about white lady? J

One early morning coming from a show, I drove pass something like that ghost Sadaku from the Japanese horror film ‘the Ring’. Only the hair is all white. It was quick & I tried not to look back at it in any mirrors, as they say when you look in the rear mirror then it’s already in your back seat!  I was thinking about it in days & weeks. Then one show comes again & I remember it before coming home. So I passed by the same road & slowed down to the place I remember seeing it. And it’s there again!! It turns out to be a long haired homeless old guy! But there are a lot of white ladies here going around the poles! Haha!! 

Although I saw some crazy lights in the sky & I’m not drunk then. UFO is real! Just like it says Unidentified Flying Objects, ‘coz I don’t know what is it!?!

Before we end up, do you believe in the concept of God and Satan?

To believe is one thing, to worship is another, so yes I do believe. God & Satan are both common nouns for one.  It’s always translated to Good & Evil, The Positive & Negative, Life & Death,   Light & Darkness where some says one does & cannot exist without the other.  Who really is to say, maybe when we die we’ll find out.  Through centuries, nation, cultures & eras has their own concepts about God & Satan, both differences & commonalities join & collide. But since Philippines is of mostly Catholic Christians, I am brought up as of God is Yahweh or Jehovah, Jesus Christ & the unnamed Holy Ghost. Satan is Satan, Lucifer, Baal, etc…as in all other enemies of God. If this is the concept you are referring to then I don’t believe in it.

But it’s fun to talk about this with Christians who do not like to hear other theories.  Tell them that Satan is actually just following God’s commands to the point. And that Jesus is actually Lucifer!  Or Jesus did not die on the cross and lived with Mary Magdalene! Or Jesus was the one beheaded & John the Babtist was the one crucified, or Judas was the real hero for not for him Jesus would not be crucified to save people of their sins! See how they react and watch out for some violence! Heheh!

Infernal Hail to you metal drunken Roy! Good luck to your current and future projects and activities, this space is yours! Metallic cheers!

Thanks Corix for the support, space & time in doing this & keeping the underground ways! Thanks to all who has been part of the Underworld Zine & Compilations all those years & of Trendcrusher Zine! Hail to you all who read this & to those who hate it! To all true metal comrades in the Philippines, Abu Dhabi & Dubai & here in The Inverted Lone Star State and everywhere else!!! Thanks &Hail!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment