Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Interview with Brimstone In Fire

 Brimstone In Fire

By: Corix

Hello brothers, how’s the band doing? What’s spinning on your player right now while answering this?

DB(Guitars) - Hey Corix what's up? I haven't got anything on my player at the moment actually.

Mike(Drums) – the unfinished mixes of the Brimstone album.

IP(Guitars) - Hey man! We're doing good, thanks for asking. I'm currently listening to Noneuclid's 'The Crawling Chaos'.

Ian(Vocals) - CORIX!!

Xtian(Bass) – We’re okay dude. “Reachin” by Digable Planets

Lets start things off traditionally, your band bio? Just a short one, for those who still don’t you guys.

DB - The original members, Mike, Lloyd, Ado & Chris had the idea of getting a band together in highschool. They called me up to join not long after. We've had several personnel changes over the years, only Mike has been in every incarnation of BIF. We used to be a a bunch of dorks playing lame covers. Now we're a bunch of dorks playing lame originals haha...

How did you discover Metal? What kind of music you are into before you discover Metal?

DB - I have uncles who were into '70s hard rock and progressive rock so stuff like that had always been around and part of my musical development while I was growing up. I got into the heavier stuff in high school. I was (still am) into Punk/HC, 70's progressive rock, first & second generation goth, synth-pop and early new wave. Metal has not replaced the tunes I enjoyed before I got into metal. I'm not the "100%-metal-for-life-fuck-everything-else" type. In fact, I find most of those guys tiresome and just a little bit stupid.

Mike – This was when things like Def Leppard, GNR, Poison, etc., started getting airplay on local radio. For me it was the gateway drug that led to Metallica, Megadeth, Metal Church and so on. Before that I was into new wave and 80s music like everyone else.

IP - It all started with Guns N' Roses….

Ian - I consciously got into it thanks to Metallica and Slayer, I was mostly into punk rock and new wave before all that. Had an uncle with Kreator's Pleasure To Kill and Venom's Possessed on LP, a cousin that listened to a lot of Iron Maiden and my dad had a Rush LP mixed in with his very chop suey selection of vinyl albums ranging from Air Supply to Nazareth!

Xtian – It was a documentary about rock music they showed on Channel 7 before the Saturday Morning Cartoons. I was listening to a lot of rock n roll because my mom was a Beatles fan and my older brother got me into new wave music.

What happen to the band after the release of “Sa Kabilang Anyo ng Buhay” compilation? You’ve been in hiatus for a long years, what decided you to come back and reform again? Do you think the scene that time were already dead?

DB - The stress of dealing with each other at that age (early 20s) burnt us all out a little. We had to grow out of ourselves before we could get the band back together.

Mike – Well it’s been 17 years since SKANB. I’m sure that scene is long-dead. Even those of us who are still actively playing music are all different people by now.

Is there any bands inspiration while writing new songs? Do you like Pestilence and Macabre? How would you personally describe BIF’s musick?

DB - I can't say they've influenced my writing, but definitely I like Pestilence and Macabre. How would I describe our music? Uh... bent tunes for bent minds?

Mike – Hahah, it’s really just Brimstone music, that’s all. When we experiment, I think we have our own ways of doing it, hopefully not similar to others’ ways.

IP - Though I've only had significant creative input in the newer songs, I don't consciously emulate the styles of the bands I like --Pestilence being one of them. It is possible that some of it subliminally bleeds through. From being an outsider, to now an insider of BIF has left me with completely disparate impressions….Let alone discovering my misheard lyrics!

Ian - Can't say that what I'm currently listening to influences what little contribution I have, haha! Revisiting a lot of my old favorites and there are only a few metal albums in there.

There's a few people that keep trying to TELL ME what we are. And they fancy themselves as "experts" in the field of "branding" musical genres because they like to yap about their Googled knowledge in forums and facebook groups. Hilarious!

Xtian - No one specific, but I guess a lot of the ideas I come up with usually comes from what genre I’m currently into at that time. I really dig Pestilence from the “Consuming Impulse” album up to “Spheres”. BIF is sexy drama metal.

After the release of “All Flesh Fades” split with Pathogen, Loyd (vocals) parted ways, what’s the story behind? If you still want to talk about.

DB - Lloyd needed to focus his energies on work and bringing up his kid, Vito. Amicable split, but he's real busy now so we hardly see him anymore.



The new EP with Ian on vocal duty and with addition of Isa on guitar both from (Demiurge) is killer! Are you guys working for the full length already? When we going to expect the release of it?

DB - Thanks. As of 8/9/2012 Mike has finished mixing 75-80% of the full length. We'll try to get it out before year's end if we can.

Mike – We’ve been working on it for a long time, I guess you could say we’re way behind schedule. But yes, mixing is 80% done. But there’s still a short way to go. Listening parties (band members only, sorry) will start happening by the end of the month, and then we’ll talk about mastering and repro, and so on. A band only gets one first album after all.

Comparing the 90’s scene and today’s scene, which do you prefer? Why?

DB - I keep to myself and hardly ever interact with anybody at gigs and I was the same twenty years ago. I'd just get up and play then fuck off and get wasted. That hasn't changed for me so I really don't have any preference either way. That said, some truly idiotic shit happens today.

Mike – I had more friends among the metal scene in the 90s but I much prefer the music we play today. I don’t ever say things like “it was better back in the day.” It was fun back in the day, sure. But it’s still fun now.

IP - I generally have a B.Y.O.P. philosophy…"Be Your Own Party" so having a blast at any given time or place is a matter of choice. However, I do prefer the scene now only because illusions have long been shattered.

Ian - The only thing that I like about what's happening now is the amount of nicely recorded stuff out there! You can really hear the quality of their ripped-off riffs and styles through all that clarity! Keep it up OPM!

Xtian – The only plus side of the 90’s was alcohol was much cheaper during those times.

You have played Cebu and Davao, which scene do you like? How would you compare it in Manila?

DB - Davao rolls up Manila & Cebu combined and smokes 'em.

Mike – Davao was an excellent gig, yes, but I’ve only ever played there once. I’d like to play there (and Cebu) more often before I make up my mind. That said, let me send out some massive thanks to the people who brought us to those places and took good care of us. Jake and his crew from Cebu, and Bud Boy and Nexie and their crew in Davao.

IP - Our Davao experience goes way up in my list.

Ian - Davao was great, yes. But we have great Insane Bazooka shows in Manila too --

Xtian – The Davao gig with Revilement is hands down the best gig so far.



Nowadays, access of music and gigs is so easy; do you think you still feel the feeling of true Underground? Do you think the Underground scene in general is Dead? If so, who do you think killed it? Why?

DB - Honestly I don't think I ever felt "underground". Certainly this music doesn't really have a broad appeal so I suppose in that sense it has always been and always will be "underground". I don't mind a couple of our friends playing at gigs a lot of our common friends and acquaintances have dismissed as sell-out gigs, produced by poser organizers and attended poser audiences... However, let's put it like this: I personally would sooner disband BIF than go that way, but it's their band and their call, you know? But beyond that I'm entirely indifferent to the whole thing.

Mike – Well it’s still underground because few people like this music. But many people could have easy access to it, if they were curious – does that make it less underground? I’m not sure. It really doesn’t matter. What matters is that you like it and you support it – underground or not.

IP - The underground is not dead, though the vast differences between people's understanding of what 'underground' is has changed it a lot. I tend to believe that 'true underground' is like absolute communism --a utopian template. Nowadays, I just focus on who writes good music for music's sake / creative independence and just appreciate the handful of those who do all the more.

Ian - the underground being "dead" is a good sign that it isn't.

Xtian – The whole “underground” being true depends on the sincerity of its patrons, you go to the events because you want to not because you have to.

What can you say about our current government? And how about the current trending RH bill?

DB - A government is only as good as the electorate. Moronic voters = moronic government. RH bill, brainless zealotry on one side and political pandering on the other. Meanwhile our numbers swell towards an insupportable critical mass... Can civil war and total societal collapse be far behind?

Mike – This government has not been doing its job for a long time. Where is the state support for the fields that really matter, like education and the sciences? Sure we don’t need particle physicists, but we could use a lot of agricultural scientists and civil engineers, yeah? Why can’t we build roads that don’t crumble during the rainy season? I do think the RH bill should be passed, but also people should just learn not to have more children than they can feed and educate properly. Which in this country usually means zero kids, sadly.

IP - Being morbidly optimistic is tiresome, especially when you keep hearing the candidates you didn't vote for whine about the previous administration. Re: RH Bill, Unless the church adopts, educates and turns EVERY unwanted child into a productive member of society, their opinions should have no political value.

Ian - there are idiots out there that think a war with China is a better issue than our war with stupidity.

Xtian – What government? Oh those well dressed people trying to earn their spot light in reality television! The worst reason for having kids is, because everybody is doing it so why can’t we.

What can you say about this production called “You Ignite it”?

DB - ?

Mike – I like saying things in the passive voice. “It was ignited by you!”

IP - One simply cannot please everyone.

Ian - it's big business. That pretty much explains it.

Xtian – They’re working overtime as we speak.

Your top 5 local bands playing on your stereo these days?

DB - Only the ones I've been mixing recently. It eats up a huge chunk of my time so at the end of my working day I'm usually listening to something other than metal; sort of like having an aural palate cleanser.

Mike – Sad to report that I haven’t been listening to a lot of local artists lately. I prefer to watch them live. Morse, Caliph8, Bent Linchpin, Similarobjects, Tarsius and Yolanda Moon would probably be on my list though.

IP - I'd rather not mention names, let's just hope they'll still be around after five years.

Ian - in order of acquisition:

Mass Hypnosia, Pathogen, TOXEMIA!, Down From The Wound & T.S.A.

Xtian – Barbie’s Cradle, Cynthia Alexander, End of Man, Pus Vomit and Up Dharma Down.

Where do you think is your destiny after death? How about your views about the concept of God and Satan? Heaven and Hell?

DB - As I have often plainly stated, I am an atheist. While I do not absolutely know for certain that there is no afterlife and that supernatural beings of any sort are non-existent or that transcendent experiences are entirely impossible, the best available data we have at present suggests that is very likely the case and as a practical matter, it is unwise to believe in these things. Given that belief underwrites behavior, none of us can afford to order or lives, our societies our civilization according to pernicious, primitive nonsense.

Mike – I definitely don’t believe in the gods of any organized religion, nor heaven and hell. I believe consciousness continues but whether it does or not, the point is to live your life properly at the current time. Worry about death once you’re dead.

IP - The need for god/s to justify morality through reward and punishment just doesn't float my boat…..And, my body may turn into dirt, but my legacy will be epic!

Ian - nothing is divine save for pork fat and nothing is demonic except chocolate!

Xtian – Nowhere in particular, just rotting. I only believe in the capacity of people to do good and evil things. Life is a bit of heaven and hell, nothing could be worse or better afterwards.




Word Association:

Brutal Death –
DB - Enjoyable when expertly executed, otherwise, not interested.

Mike – It’s all right. I’ve thought of a lot of useful techniques after watching brutal death drummers.

Ian - Brochal.

IP - Not my poison, but I do enjoy a few bands out there.

Xtian – Always looking forward to the breakdowns.

Black Metal –

DB - Some of it is alright.

Mike – Not really my cup of tea.

IP - I like it when the recording sounds really pro! :P

Ian - not black enough.

Xtian – Coprse paint is a state of mind.

Cassette Tape –

DB - I have fond memories of hours upon hours of listening to tunes on cassette, but let's get fucking real, analog as a distribution/listening medium is not worth the trouble unless your audio set-up is 100% class A tubes pre-amp and amp stage with virgin paper cones and a perfectly treated room.

Mike – That medium’s time has passed. If I ever put together an audiophile listening room though, it would probably be mostly vinyl or mp3s, not cds and cassettes. Printing your studio mixes to 2” tape is supposed to add some indescribable goodness to your recordings though. But that isn’t cassette either, heheh.

IP - I really enjoyed making, trading and sharing 'costom' compilations back in the day. I'll never forget this one time in college when this now 'famous' emo-core douchebag hitched a ride with me and insisted I listen to his band's demo. Luckily my car's stereo ate the tape so I never got to hear it. The look on his face --Priceless.

Ian - buying a cassette to USB interface really soon!

Xtian – Hopefully I’ll find a decent cassette player soon.

Alcohol –

DB - Yes, please.

Mike – Good stuff.

IP - Affirmative

Ian - more.

Xtian – Cheers!

Satan –

DB - Fictional.

Mike – Mike Carey’s “Lucifer” is great. Go out and read and understand it.

IP - A vastly entertaining, multi-faceted subject.

Ian - SATAN IS A POSEUR!

Xtian – He lives next door and always plays Abba.

Twitter –

DB - Nah.

Mike – useful as marketing tool but you have to have the personality for it. Or hire someone to do it.

IP - People posting stuff like 'I'm hungry' on FB is bad enough.

Ian - don't need it.

Xtian – Why?

Myspace –

DB - What for?

Mike - Myspace is dead!

IP - Useful for determining whether to spend on a CD or not.

Ian - not too hot about MySpace either.

Xtian – Unfortunately I can’t listen to Myspace tunes on my pc.

Customized cd –

DB - Oyoko nong costomoized, gosto ko originol. Oyoko din somokoy so tren-trenon. Kong gogostos ako, poggogostoson ko no yong tonoy hindi yong peke.

Mike – Learn to do your own downloading. And besides – the cheap-ass mp3 players you can get from CDR king will hold a ton more music in a tiny fraction of the space of your non-collectible customized cds.

IP - To share with selected friends, Yay!…. To profit from, Nay.

Ian - I was a CROSSBLOOD kid! So I've got mixed opinions on this but generally:
A "custom" CD is now only valid if it's YOUR OWN music or a mixed selection you want to share with buddies. Bootlegging whole albums for a petty amount just doesn't work anymore -- back then it was a HUGE help.

Xtian – Why make when you could pay for your own?

RPG Games -

DB - Waiting patiently for D&D 5th edition (already messing about with the playtest package) . Baldur's Gate trilogy fan for life.

Mike – I’m out of date; never got into MMORPGs. Rediscovering D&D though.

IP - Monkey Island! and D&D.

Ian - "FUS ROH DAH!" And D&D! \m/

Xtian – Nothing beats having drinks and junk food with friends while playing D & D.

Pinoy NS -

DB - Don't these idiots know that they're not white? Listen, if these dumb shits have the courage of their convictions let them post their pics on an NS site like Stormfront then let's see if real nazis can't make it perfectly clear to them that they're 'mud people' or 'island niggers' and that having brown skin automatically disqualifies them from being brown-shirts.

Mike – Hahaha, this is like the Norwegian chapter of Samahang Ilokano, isn’t it?

IP - NS = not serious, they must be kidding!

Ian - I still want to see them in the flesh.

Xtian – Are they blind like Clayton Bigsby?

Alright brothers, thanx for sharing your thoughts and views and giving time answering this shits! Your last message…

Mike – Corix, many thanks likewise for this interview. All the best.

IP - You're welcome Corix! Cheers!

Ian - till next time, brod! :D

Xtian – Until the next drinking session!





contact:

c/o Alfredo O. Bunye
101 Wawa Street Alabang, Muntinlupa City 1770 Philippines
Email: brimstone_in_fire@unhinged-music.net


No comments:

Post a Comment